Here is a round-up of recent Save the Basin Campaign news:
A big win around the Regional Council table
Thanks to the good work of Cr Paul Bruce and like-minded colleagues, the Wellington Regional Council (Greater Wellington) has withdrawn its previous backing for a Basin Reserve flyover and instead voted to take another look at transport options around the Basin. This means that two of the three supposed partners in this project do not support it, as Wellington City Council had already voted for an alternative option. Read the full story of this significant victory for our campaign here:
A new alternative to the flyover
As this Wellington Scoop article describes: http://wellington.scoop.co.nz/?p=50038, a new alternative proposal for the Basin has been set in front of the Councils and the Government by Richard Reid and Associates. We’re glad to see that organisations concerned about sustainable transport and sensible urban design are continuing to put forward alternatives to the costly, unnecessary, ugly and disruptive flyover planned by NZTA, and we look forward to hearing more about this latest proposal.
Coming up: our public meeting on Wednesday 21 November
We have a public meeting coming up later this month. We’ll be announcing more details soon, but here are the vital ones:
Date: 21 November
Venue: St Joseph’s Church, Mt Victoria (view map)
Time: 6 – 7.30pm
Before that, please come to our next Save the Basin organising meeting. It’s on Wednesday 14 November from 5.30-7pm – please email firstname.lastname@example.org for venue details.
And if you can’t make the meeting but would still like to help out, or would like to go on our mailing list, please email email@example.com anyway.
- Get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out what needs doing and how you can help!
- Come to our organising meetings – they are held every second Wednesday. To find the date and venue of the next meeting, please email email@example.com
- Join our Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/38243212975/ and also the Stop the Flyover group: http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/38243212975/
- Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/save_the_basin
- Write letters and emails to the Government opposing the flyover and telling them that NZTA must be told to take another look at the alternatives. We think you should start at the top: email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Write letters to the papers, and leave online comments on relevant articles, talking about the reasons to oppose a Basin flyover and the growing opposition at both community and local government level.